What is a Labor Doula?
A doula is an experienced labor companion who provides emotional and physical support before, during, and after birth. Studies have shown that a Doula can help to shorten first-time labors, decrease cesarean sections and the need for pain medication, help fathers participate with confidence, and lead to a more successful breastfeeding relationship.
- Prenatal visits
- Help writing a birth plan
- Text, phone, and email support during your pregnancy through post-partum
- 24 hour on call status two weeks before your “due date” through the birth of your baby
- Professional labor support at the birth place of your choice
- A post-partum visit in your home approximately a week after your birth to answer any questions you might have, to help process the birth, and ensure Mother and baby are recovering and adjusting well
There is no charge or obligation to potential clients for an introductory meeting. I will describe my services, answer any questions, and help you decide how I can best support your family. Because I believe money should never be a barrier to you having the support you deserve at your birth, I am happy to discuss creative payment options including payment plans and barter/trades. My fee for the complete package is $800 - the first half due with contract, second half at our post-partum visit.
A postpartum doula is an experienced professional who supports you and your family as you welcome the newest member of your family. She spends time at your home after the baby arrives to help your family discover your new normal by:
- Ensuring you are fed, rested, and validated
- Helping with basic household functions (light cleaning and tidying, laundry, etc.)
- Cooking nourishing food and snacks
- Listening when you feel like talking
- Recommending resources including lactation consultants, perinatal therapists, infant chiropractors, pediatricians, etc.
The time a doula spends in your home will ease your entrance into parenthood and make it easier for you to bond with your new baby. Day time shifts are offered in blocks of 4 hours between the hours of 7am and 8pm. Overnight hours are offered in blocks of 8 hours between the hours of 8pm and 7am and can be extended as requested. Depending on the time of day and number of hours requested, the hourly rate is between $25-$30 an hour.
A doula can also be contracted to spend the night in the hospital with you after your baby is born allowing your partner to get a good night’s sleep and prepare the house for your arrival.